Sony xa777 player question

I heard this player doesn't detect sacd or cd players automatically, you have to select it?

Also, does this have an analogue sound on redbook cds?

How does this compare to say a dvd player transport and $1000 dac? I listen to classical music?
samuellaudio
You set a default and it will use that format, if available. The options are CD, SACD stereo, SACD multichannel.

It has analog outputs. ;-)

I listen to classical music, too.

Kal
Kal is correct. Mine works just like that, even though it's been heavily modified by Ric Schultz of EVS. Actually that's why it sounds very analogue indeed on both media.

I don't listen to as much classical music as you. ;-)

Regards,
"I heard this player doesn't detect sacd or cd players automatically, you have to select it?"

Yeah, you have to tell "it" what it is.

"Also, does this have an analogue sound on redbook cds?"

Neither, SACD or CD

"How does this compare to say a dvd player transport and $1000 dac? I listen to classical music?"

Benchmark DAC with decent transport will do.

Regards,
Alex
You have to choose on hybrid disks only - Otherwise it detects SACD disks and redbook for you.

Analog sound? That's subjective. SACD is very good and sounds close to analog, but I wouldn't say it's the most analog sound out there. The redbook is smooth for SS, but sounds slightly more dry than SACD.

The Benchmark is bright and digital sounding.

The XA777 makes a great transport to add dac to later. (look into Ack Dack for analog sound)

A cheap transport and DAC won't give you SACD. (if you don't want SACD there are better redbook players for the price.

BTW, I'm talking about the XA777ES - if there is a XA777 out there that you're talking about ignore this post except for my comment on the Ack DAck and Benchmark.