Sony XA-5400es VS Oppo 83SE

I recently got an Oppo 83SE and played my first ever SACD today and I'am a convert.

Now I'am wondering if the Sony might be more musical than the Oppo,which I feel is quite a good Cd/SACD player.Right now looks like the last chance to get a new Sony before they diapear.But at twice the price of the Oppo does anyone feel this is an upgrade in musicallity? Anyone compared the two? Thanks in advance Gary
mystang

Showing 1 response by podeschi

Just took delivery of my XA-5400es with Modwright mods. In fact, I ordered the Sony and had it delivered straight to Modwright.

I have it playing Dave Alvin SACD right now, and listened to CDs as well on it.

Wow! I recently had a Sony SCD-XA777es player. It was built like a tank, but the CD and SACD performance of the 5400es with Modwright mods is simply stunning. I spend most of my time listening to vinyl, and this 5400es has the organic energy of what I love about vinyl (not sure if it is the tubes?). Fluidity, musicality, transparency, dynamics, black background, large sound stage, layering, are the words that come to mind. I was nervous I wouldn't like it as much as my PS Audio PWD with Bridge playing hi-rez files....but even the CD via modded Sony keeps pace with PWD. Hats off to Modwright and Sony. Amazing what you get for a $1500 SACD/CD player and a $1995 mod package. I don't know why anyone would pay more than 5-10K for a digital front-end when you can get this.