Sony 9000es mods and break-in

I just received a Sony dvp-9000es. Can anyone provide me with impressions on modded improvements to sound? Is EVS ever going to begin shipping modded 9000es units? What is the estimated time the unit would be away with Dan Wright?
Should I break the unit in for 200 hours before sending it out to be modded? I live in an apartment and have a class A amplifier, so leaving my system run day and night for 200 hours is not practicable. Is there any way to safely accomplish breakin with only the cd player involved?
thanks, in advance, for your input
jph1

Showing 1 response by jph1

Thanks, Scuba
I am currently using an EVS passive preamp with Stealth M-7 cables through a LLano 200s amp into Thiel cs3.6. I certainly appreciate your comprehensive response, as well as the others. My mod budget will probably be limited to about 1k. Although I searched for info here and on audioasylum regarding break in, I was unable to definitively answer the question of whether the rest of the system needs to be on during break in. Since I have the passive, wouldn't it be the same if I left the amp off and set the passive to the lowest setting (0db), thereby shunting the entire signal to ground? I apologize, in advance if my question betrays a certain lack of knowledge regarding electronic theory. I am, after all primarily a right-brain, hedonistic kind of audiophile wannabe.
thanks, Phil