Sonics of Streaming

Reviewers, both here and in the audio press, speak of vast sonic differences among the many DAC-less streamers/network players on the market. Leaving aside features such as ease of use, variety of outputs etc., what internal design elements dictate inferiority/superiority in fidelity and the enormous range in pricing? My ancient analog brain can't grasp how Model X on a given ethernet cable can render streaming audio so differently from Model A+ on the same cable when both use the very same cables, DAC, amplification chain, and loudspeakers.

Advance thanks for a brief tutorial to guide my planned "upgrade." 
hickamore

Showing 1 response by mgrif104

I can speculate on why there are differences but this won’t be helpful to you because it will remain my speculation. Of course, this very question has been addressed in many related threads so you might find value in reading through them.  While YMMV, in my own experience, I found greater differences in moving upstream from a Bluesound node 2 (going into my outboard DAC) than I did in moving into a much nicer DAC. 

There are many on here who consistently claim there can be no difference or that they haven’t heard differences.  Fair enough.  They’re are a number of us here who do. Perhaps it’s placebo. Perhaps not.  

There’s really only one way for you to know.  If you already have a decently resolving system - audition a couple in home.  I would suggest you listen for spatial information (openness in soundstage width and depth) as opposed to tonal differences.  Lower quality units sound “flat” to me relative to nicer units. 

Best,