Solid State to replace Audio Research REF110?

Hello,

My power amp REF110 blew resistors and damage PCB (it is the second time), in the pass my VT100 MKIII also damage the PCB had to replace it.
I like REF110 sound but I think I should move to a more reliable solid state power amp.

Which power amplifier do you recommend to substitute Audio Research REF110 without have to regret every day?

Many thanks for the advice.
jglpubli

Showing 1 response by almarg

12-08-13: Zd542
It does say on the first page of ARC's tube amp owners manuals that: ARC tube amps must be used with ARC preamps or damage will occur. I guess they put it in bold print for a reason.
Interesting. I'm thinking that the reason for that statement, and for some of the problems that have been reported, might be the effect that Ralph (Atmasphere) described in his two posts starting here, which relates to interactions that may occur between amplifiers having very extended low frequency bandwidth and preamps having less than ideal stability in their power supplies. I note that the specified 3db bandwidth of the Ref 110 extends to a very low 0.6 Hz. I note also that Ralph mentions ARC specifically in his second post, although that experience occurred many moons ago.

Another possibility, of course, might be that ARC is anticipating that some users will not follow the proper turn-on and turn-off sequences (amp on last and off first), which might result in the amp having to process large transients that may be generated by some preamps at turn-on or turn-off.

Regards,
-- Al