So I'm looking to rebuild the home theater system

I’m looking at receivers under 3-4K. I don’t need more than 7.2, and am about 15 years out of date. There seems to be more bells and whistles, but what is the sound quality like now days?

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks.

JD
128x128curiousjim
@curiousjim I strongly encourage you to spend time bringing yourself up to date with the 'State of the State' of HT. There are ample online sites to bring you up to date, and with minimal time investment. There are also numerous reviews of all of the receivers being discussed in this thread and those write-ups should give you a good feel for the pros and cons of each unit.

Regarding your previous question(s):

For example, a WiFi adaptor may be unnecessary if you choose to use a Roku, Amazon, Google or Apple device with your TV.

For example, if you have a current TV then you can use the Apps within to accomplish what you are looking for.

For example, most of the current TVs have WiFi built in.

Regarding sound quality:

For me, the soundtrack is the soul and life blood of a movie. With poorer renditions a movie is not nearly as emotionally engaging (sadness, anger, violence, love, etc. etc. require the music to convey the same and to pull at your heart strings).

If a component were more musically competent and emotionally engaging and 'musical' that would be the one I would recommend, without hesitation.

The power ratings (for mainstream receivers) are typically NOT for all channels driven and some companies are much more conservative and accurate with their power ratings.

There are valid and very good reasons why seasoned HT enthusiasts choose higher end / smaller manufacturers over the mass market brands. 

Since you seem to hold on to your components, I advise you choose quality, even if it costs more, over the long run. 

Receivers also lose value quickly, which makes the following option a very good one: step up to a highly regarded, higher end unit that is a couple of years old. 

All the best.
david_ten,

’’’For example, a WiFi adaptor may be unnecessary if you choose to use a Roku, Amazon, Google or Apple device with your TV."

Not what I’m talking about. I have the tv. I’m wanting to stream my personal collection of music to another system. That was the reason I asked about a wifi adapter. You can Bluetooth from a phone or computer to a newer receiver. I want to do the same using my wifi. Better quality and distance.

JD
curiousjim, a lot of the newer avrs have wifi and bluetooth built in--if it doesn't you can add a google chromecast audio ($25), which is extremely simple and works very well
The Amazon and Roku sticks and Chromecast can go direct into your receiver. I'm not sure what capabilities one can control via Apple TV into a receiver, but it can be connected to a receiver.

The issue hinges more on where your files are / what device you are storing your music on. If it can be accessed via your local network (or cast from your phone) then using one of these devices will allow for a much wider feature and control set than a WiFi dongle.
Listened to a Marantz SR8012 today. It was set up as 5.1, and it sounded pretty good. I think it or the SR 7012 will do everything I want. Another one to add to the list.

JD