So I just bought a Hegel H390 and

I am building a new system and I just bought a H-390.  It should arrive by the end of the week.  I want to get new to me speakers to go with it. So if you’ve have or have had a Hegel H-390 or a H-590,  what speakers under $10.000 sounded the best.  And I guess I should probably get some wires also.  Nothing crazy, but not zip cord.

Thanks.

JD
128x128curiousjim

Showing 1 response by audiofool1

Hi JD. Congratulations on your new Hegel H390. Excellent choice. I had a H360 for a few years in my 2ch system in a room 14'x25'. I enjoyed the H360 for a few years and auditioned the H390 soon after it was released. While I was very pleased and impressed by the H360, the H390 clearly improved on the all of the good qualities and then added a little sweet icing on the cake. The H390 had the same transparency and neutrality that I love about this amp, as well as, the tremendous control of almost any speaker you connect to it. I has the ability to make even lesser speakers shine. That said, I have matched the H390 with a little know speaker from Finland. The manufacturer is Amphion. They make a full line of speakers from mini to full towers are quite popular with recording studio engineers. I model I use as my reference speakers are the Amphion Argon 7L floor standers. They are a superlative match with the amp and are truly something special. I auditioned speakers and amplifiers for two years befo re purchasing the amp and speakers. In fact I tested speaker and amps in the 5k to 100k range and found the price performance of the H390 alone was equal  to or greater than amps costing 3x as much. As for the speakers, the Argon 7L or newer 7LS blew away speakers costing 20-50k that I auditioned at length. BTW, these speakers are well below your price range. If you can swing it, the Krypton 3 is their top of the line speaker and would be even better with this amp. I have no financial interest in Hegel or Amphion. I can highly recommend a dealer that I purchased my equipment from. Adirondack Audio in NY. Happy to help if you have any questions. Best of luck. Audiofool1