Snell Type A Serial ' 1485, 1486

My new found speakers only have the Type A listed on the panel. Not AII or, AIII. Of course they are the two piece and the first thing I did was to pull the bottom panel to check the woofer surrounds, yes they are in need of new surrounds. I have replaced several different surrounds on other speakers, however, these appear to have a balance system in the resin around the VC cover. Does this mean that there are some extra steps needed in order to replace the surrounds correctly? Next I'm very curious as to the value of these speakers? I picked them up very, very inexpensively and the cabinets are pristine as well as the covers. I think I may have something pretty special but most everything I read is pertaining to the AII's and III's. Is it possible these are the originals or, is there some other way to identify the model?
I have a set of Audio Research M-100 mono blocks that I am planning to use for the amps. Should I anticipate trying to get a solid state amp for bi-amping the woofer section? Since I'm pretty much ion the dark on these any and all information available would be much appreciated. I think they may put my Vanderstine 2Ce's in the minor leagues if what I've read on Snell holds any water!

John
johnfish44

Showing 1 response by montaldo

I know this is an old thread, but I wondered if you ever arrived at a clear delineator between A and AII. I'm thinking of buying a pair from someone. They have separately fused woofer, mid, tweeter. I used to own AII's (miss them dearly!) and they did not have separate fuses. This makes me think this pair must be AII's, because separate fusing seems like an improvement.

If there is a clear serial number cutoff I can find out serial numbers too.
Thanks for thoughts!