Smoothest and best sounding turntable/cartridge combo up to $1600??

As the title of the thread reads, I am looking for recommendation for the best and smoothest sounding turntable/cartridge combo up to $1600.  I am replacing a restored and recently upgraded Thorens TD-145 turntable with a Audio Technica brand new 440MLb cartridge. I am finding that floating suspension turntables require more isolation against floor vibration.  Other than that, the table is very good. 

I also would prefer a more contemporary design.

Note: I will probably put the the Thorens on sale after reading the comments and recommendations to this thread.  Thank you for your feedback  

sunnyjim

Showing 1 response by sevs

Here is the question with zillion right answers. My own experience:when  I switched from Clearaudio Virtuoso Wood to Lyra MC cartridge (the only reason for the switch was that my Sondek got 10k upgrade) I was not hearing what I paid for. Now that Virtuoso Wood got an upgrade you can probably get the original off eBay for next to nothing...  Smooth, detailed, no MC loading headaches, at least on Naim ARO/Sondek it sounds Heavenly! Just my 5 cents to an unanswerable question...