SME V, Tri-Planar or Phantom B-44 ?

my table is j michele orb se
benson139
Thanks Raul,what do you think about the synergy between my orbe+kondo and the Scheu Taco,thanks again
Dear Benson139: I don't have any experience with that tonearm but I can't feel " free " and " calm " trying to match that unipivot design with a very low compliance ( 6cu on the IO-M ) cartridge.
I understand that Sheu have cartridges made by Benz-Micro that are at 12-14 cu and lower cartridge weight than the 11grs you have, a lot more reasonable to make a good match.

Other factor ( between other things ) is that I don't know which kind of internal wire use the Sheu where the Ikeda and Audio Note use a first rate silver one that could go better with your all silver cartridge.

Synergy is always the name of the game in audio, IMHO and if I was you I will go for the Ikeda or Audio Note.
Of ourse that you can go on a different " direction " and nothing wrong with that because at the " end of the day " you are the one that must live with it and your satisfaction is first than all.

Regards and enjoy the music.
Raul.
Raul, Thom and others,

The concept of cartridge/tonearm matching has always intrigued me. What intrigues me is that this seems to preclude discussions of absolute best or better tonearm as a separate component.

I understand that a cartridge and tonearm need to be properly matched in weight and compliance to produce a specific range of resonance frequency.

However, that aside, what is it that drives desireable combinations. I suspect it is a matter of sonic and mechanical synergy.

1)For example, sonic synergy

Imagine a very bright, strident, analytical cartridge. I suspect this would be considered a good combo with a warmer,slightly slow, musical tonearm.

To me neither of these components would seem "neutral" on their own in this scenario. But what if there really are "neutral" arms and more neutral cartridges. Then it would be appropriate to rate tonearms and cartridges separately.

2) Mechanical synergy

I suspect some cartridges emit more vibration than others based on their construction, and certain tonearms dampen more vibration than others. I would think the better cartridge, all else bein equaln would be the one to emit less vibration. Since this may be difficult to control, I would think it is more straightforward designing a tonearm that was capable of dampening various types of vibrational energy. In this regard the tonearm that isbetter at damping is a better tonearm.

Of course specific tonearm design and cartridge designs have their inherent superiority over others.

Anyway, my point is that there probably is some justification in judging the merits of a tonearm separate from the combination.
Aoliviero, could you provide the link to the "Thomasheisig" thread comparing the Phantom and the Tri-Planar? Thanks. It sounds interesting.

(I searched on those key words and could not retrieve it.)