SME 3009 S2 IMP setup advice

I recently setup my TD-160 / SME 3009 S2 IMP. I know I followed the directions to the letter. Went over it twice then a third time. My confusion / frustration is this....

The arm seems to track heavy. I mean when I lower the arm it slowly decends... when contacting the record it seems the stylus compresses to the point where the body of the cartridge is nearly touching the record surface. I mean you can barly see daylight btwn bottom of cartridge and record surface. It sounds just ok not great by any means.

I have tried to back off the big rear rider weight as far as I can but doesnt seem to help. Again, I have my outrigger and antiskate according to cartridge recommendations (AT-150MLX).

I'm ready to say screw-it and mount a Rega arm.
128x128freddy50

Showing 1 response by dekay

Did you remove the anti-skating weight/thread, slide the tracking force weight back to zero and then static balance the arm, as Scott describes, before setting the VTF and anti-skating?

Also, does the arm have a single small (sliding) tracking force weight or are there two snugged together?

There was an optional additional weight which changes the value of the graduations on the weight pole.

Regardless, a vertical tracking force gauge is needed to confirm VTF.

The basic $20, or so, Sure gauge is fine and accurate enough.