Sme 3009 II ..... wich cartridge?

Hi,
I just bought a thorens TD124 II with SME 3009 II tonearm. I have three cartridges that I can use with this set up: DENON 103R with wood case, NAGAOKA MP-50, and SHELTER 501 II; my question is, wich one do you consider have better sinergy with this set up?. Thanks in advance
jorsan

Showing 1 response by amandarae

It will work fine with the Denon and the Shelter! But it will sound much better IMO if your SME Series II has a detachable headshell and you can change it to a heavier one that will increase the cart+headshell weight.

I am running a DL 103, and a wood body DL 103 on a SME series II with a TD 124 MKI or an MKII. The wooden cartridge body attach to the headshell increase the cartridge weight (the SME headshell weight which is approximately 7 gms) to 20 gms. which of course increased the 12 gms effective mass of the stock series II arm + SME headshell.

You can get a Yamamoto HS-1A Ebony wood headshell which is about 10 gms if you do not want to try the Denon woodbody route. Or you can look for Orsonic headshells (10-16 gms variety). I do have both the Yamamoto and the Orsonic AV-1S (16 gms).

Yes, yes, people will tell you that the Denon's compliance (5 x 10-6 cm/dynes) was calculated at 100 Hz instead of the common 1 kHz and thus, make the compliance close to 11 which is a mid-compliance cart so it will work fine with a mid mass arm. But believe me, the Denon 103 sounds much better on high mass tonearms. Same is true with the Shelter as I owned both the 501 and 901 before. Of course, you have to try it first and see for yourself.

regards