SME 3009 II w/ Linn Sondek

Does the Series II arm mate well with the LP-12? I have friends that have made mention of this combo, but I have rarely seen postings with this setup.
roblanger

Showing 2 responses by stanwal

No. The Linn likes arms that are a little bright in character. The classic arm for them was the Grace 707, which I have on mine. It was supplanted years ago by the Ittok and its descendants. The old SME, which tended to sound soft, would aggravate the Linn's deficiencies. The newer SMEs are too heavy for the Linns suspension, a point to be aware of when looking at arms. The Rega arms should match fairly well sonically but I am not sure about the weight. I have used them but before I had a Linn. I have 5 of the older SMEs sitting around but never considered putting one on the Linn. I think if you query Linn they will agree as most of what I have stated was derived from their statements over the years.
It is better then the Basic. In the same mag mentioned later the 707 and Ittok were rated very good and the Basic LVX good +. It is a lower mass than some , to quote Hi Fi Choice no.30 [1983] " Effective mass was low at 6 g. and suitable for medium to high compliance cartridges, and extra weight may be necessary for low mass, low compliance models (otherwise moderate bass lift in the 20-40 Hz region may occur." I would think that low compliance high mass cartridges would work as they increase the mass of the arm. The effective mass is the arm + cartridge + mounting screws. I think the Denon 103 would be one of these. In any case the Denon 304, which is probably the best Denon has made will work, I just bought one for $330 including shipping from Europe. The LVX mass is 12.5 grams so if you want to stay with very low compliance cartridges it will work well. You can add mass to the Grace, many Japanese cartridges use to come with a lead weight to add mass. If I was happy with the arm I might consider one of Linn's endless series of upgrades to the table itself.