Should I get a Roon Nucleus?

Hey folks,

I just discovered Roon after using Bluesound for years. I have the new Bluesound Node wired with a Cat7 Ethernet cable. I love the Roon interface. My node streams to both my Focal Arche and Rotel RA-1592. I just use Qobuz at this point (recently ditched Tidal). I have an iMac M1 as my Roon core currently. What do you think the Nucleus or the Nucleus+ would accomplish in my system? Thanks!

128x128dmmichalowski

bump in sound quality from only changing roon core?

Yep I think so.  I was comparing Roon side by side with my Bryston BDP Pi running MPD/Manic Moose and streaming Qobuz.  The Bryston bested the iMAC/Roon hands down enough so I was considering not anteing up for ROON.  Switching the to SGC brought it close enough that I opted for the ROON subscription.   Switched the Bryston to ROON ready, done. I think having the core running on a dedicated device is critical for squeezing the most out of ROON.  Note: Radio Paradise still sounds a tad better when streamed (16/48) directly off the Bryston. 

I second the comment "I would also look at a Small Green Computer"

I have their Sonictransporter and it is excellent. Great customer support, and the same or better functionality as the Nucleus (which is sexy looking, but overpriced imo).

I would get this bundle, which includes the Sonore Utrarendu (really a good upgrade): SGC bundle (click link) You can choose the size of the internal SSD drive you want (I have 2TB).

ROON is great—I can’t imagine life without it now.

Thanks for the feedback on the sonicTransporter.  If you have any questions, just hit the contact us button on the right of our website.