Seriously considering tube preamp…opinions?

Tube virgin, here. I am building a system and I'm trying to contain the preamp/amp cost to $3k or so. (I could go up a little.) 

I'm inclined not to dive into tubes all the way through, but get a solid state on the output end. (Open to suggestions; inclined toward PS Audio, Parasound.) I'm reading around about tube preamps and have talked with my local dealer, who sells Black Ice/Jolida and Prima Luna (PL). He used to carry Rogue but said they kept coming back for repairs. That's why he carries PL.

I'm asking these questions after having established (via reviews, comments) that Schiit gear is quite the value. Lately, I've been reading about Decware and other small tube makers. I'm very curious about buying direct, if possible, and a company that stands behind their products is crucial.

So, your opinions about tube integrated or *especially* tube preamps —

1. Who do you like? Consider I want to do pre/amp for a total of $3k if possible.

2. Do you think PL is worth all that money just for a preamp? I get the feeling they're high quality but a bit over-hyped. (No disrespect to the highly passionate Kevin Deal, but he's all over my search results.) And what would you think about $2k/$1k preamp-to-amp spending ratio?

3. Any sense of what happened to Jolida since the name change to "Black Ice"? I see there's a sordid story there but did the re-branding clear up the mess? Any experiences with the Black Ice company?

4. I know there are many Schiit fans out there; so my question would be -- did anyone consider Schiit for tube preamp and go another way? Or move beyond Schiit for any particular reason? It's hard not to just capitulate and do a Freya+ or Saga+ but why wouldn't one just go with Schiit?

128x128hilde45
To stay within budget you would need to buy used. I think retail is around $6500. You may want to call Keith he sometimes has trades or other ways of working with you on price. Be careful though—once you talk to him you will want to join the family—he is that awesome!
@hilde45, Sent you a message.  If I were in your shoes, you might want to decide first if you want a solid state or tube back end amplifier. There are not too many really good SS amps that "sort of, partially" emulate tube sound, many have tried, and they are big $, well outside of your budget of $3k total for pre+amp.  
@dodgealum  Good to consider. I expect to talk myself into more extravagant purchases down the road, but for now, my intended listening space (and the amount of time I have to listen) are modest. I'm trying to  take it slow.

@decooney  I'll go look for it, and thank you. Everyone's said "get your speakers first" so perhaps the process needs to be done slowly. I do like the tight, punch, crispness of solid state, only I am not sure if I might not want it all the way. 
@hilde45 "I do like the tight, punch, crispness of solid state".

One other angle to throw at ya...MA252.   It’s possible a hybrid tube/solid state integrated amplifier could ALSO be right up your alley vs. separates. It helps with other savings too. Disclaimer: While I’m not a McIntosh or Parsaound or Primaluna fan boy, it seems the latest generation of these integrated amps are sort of targeting what you are asking for, essentially. "Crisp", I don’t know, that’s your ears and taste to decide. Mc is not known for crisp, old or new. Might be too plush for ya yet. But, perhaps a closer look for a quick listen. While I’ve never heard one of THESE personally and have a few friends with Audio Note 300B amps and such, some of them like this MA252 unit for more round-the-clock use in alternate systems or den room systems. Makes good sense for a consolidated 1st system approach too. Heck who knows, a primary system winner for some!

Maybe test your ears again and go listen to one of these and see if it’s more (1/2 way) between where you want to be. You avoid the cost of costly interconnects, all in one, tube front end, solid state back end. It’s more than a trend developing, some value to it as well.

Example#1:
https://www.mcintoshlabs.com/products/integrated-amplifiers/MA252

MA252 Two-Channel Integrated Amplifier
  • Hybrid design: vacuum tube preamp and solid state power amp
  • 100 Watts into 8 Ohms
  • 160 Watts into 4 Ohms
If you believe other’s quotes, take it with a grain of salt, but...

Quote:

"The McIntosh MA252 offers an alluring combination of tube romanticism and solid-state resolution and authority... The ability to connect the listener to the music makes this tube-solid state integrated a special component by any standard. I could happily listen to the MA252 for a long, long time." - PTA

I was looking hard at the Vincent 237, but that was about $1k less. This is very, very tempting. I need to read reviews, get feedback. I'd certainly be very proud to show it off.