Searching for better 2 channel performance?

Once again debating the upgrade options and need help. Hard to find anything 2 channel oriented around here to compare so I have to rely on advise here.

Recently upgraded surround processor to Marantz SR 6005 and am overall very happy with the sound quality. For 2 channel I run a squeezebox thru a Lite Audio dac 60 to the Marantz in pure direct mode to Gallo 3.1 and am happy with the sound but feel I am missing something. Imaging in particular seems lacking. This could be an issue with the material I listen to. Any suggestions on something to showcase imaging both left and right and front to back?

I am considering adding a seperate pre just for 2 channel. This would be used, most likely bought off this forum. Have read many post that seem to make it sound as though modern processors will out perform older equipment due to advancements in quality of parts. Many post on the other side also.

Need recommendations on used pre's or processors >$1000.00 that will outperform the marantz/Lite Audio in 2 channel. Need remote and 2 zone operation. Have considered Classe, Lexicon, Proceed, anc Cary.
Thanks for any guidance or suggestions.
Steve
scoly

Showing 1 response by ths364

Loomis Johnson is right! (Anybody remember Blazing Saddles?) I agree that the AVR's are indeed lacking compared to a dedicated strong 2 channel amp. In both of my rooms I am less than a foot from the back wall (no treatment at all) and imaging is quite good to amazing- and I'm an imaging freak. One of these rooms has a giant entertainment center with glass doors and a big tv between the speakers- I have them pulled out past the front edge of the Ent. ctr and only 4-6 inches on either side. Soundstage is great with Dahlquist DQ-10's or Dynaudio. You can do this!