Schiit Freya+(Plus)

Freya+ users:

For me, sending DAC input through tube output clearly adds warmth, bloom, punch, musicality, presence.
However, when used with analog inputs (TT, FM, cassette), the tubes (current stock JJ 6SN7 supplied with the unit) sound too lush, rather over the top, sometimes frankly bloated. I mean at equal volume (not volume SETTING).

Despite balanced output to power amp, the SS buffer stage sounds inferior to pure passive mode. So it's tubes with
DAC, passive with analog, SS buffer with nothing.

Questions: (1) does my experience sound typical?
(2) should I experiment with rolling Tung-Sols or other recommended upgrade tube?
(3) does any of this bespeak some peculiarity elsewhere in the chain?

Advance thanks for diagnoses/suggestions.

hickamore
Definitely oldhvy got a defective unit. Though Schiit does warn rather prominently that these run HOT. Knowing that upfront, you wonder whether the four nicely separated 12AU7s in Rogue RP-7, running cooler but also taking 45 seconds to warm up, warrant the price differential. Glad to hear that trouble now resolved.

shkong, I guess whether lush, harsh, or veiled may depend on what tubes and source material are being played. Definitely ready to roll tubes. Sylvanias, NOS GEs, maybe Tung-Sols. Many users here have experimented and shared their insights, so thanks for the tips!

Not trying to get off the subject too much, here OP.

The unit was setting on a slotted grate, Lots of air all the way around.

Ambient temp was 65-75.

When I started monitoring with a temp gun, it stayed right at 96-7 F.
The valves 145-150 F. Stayed pretty constant after the first overheat issue.

I was thinking a valve had something inside the glass that may have moved in transit, flipped upside down a couple time.. Duno..

I should have tested the valves, but I was in a bit of a panic ;-)

Customer service and support both contacted me QUICK.
Pleased with the response for sure..

The unit sure had a nice feel, weight, and look. Crap, I’m gonna order another one, pretty sure. I really wanted to tinker and I like a remote.

As far as 12XXX valves, I've used them so long, and they're in everything I use. Mac, VTL, Cary.  Easy to roll and a TON to choose from. Do they run Cooler? LOL  They run a lot cooler 1/2 the heat. Even my hot rodded C20 is not close to the heat.. of the Freya...

Back to soldering.

Regards
Not sure if it was mentioned, but Freya+ only gets hot when in tube mode.  And the main source of heat at that point is the voltage regulators, to the left of the tubes in the case.  The hotness should take over an hour to develop, and it’s never been too hot to leave my hand on it.  It also doesn’t get as hot as it did at first.

At least I think that’s what they are, (stepping the volts up to 300?). I’m not the most technical person.  Anyway, it’s my best audio purchase in the last 5 years.  

On a cold night I can use my "Classic Original Version" Freya to warm my hands by placing them directly on the amp (one at a time since my hands are HUGE), and although I was initially a little concerned by the heat even with plenty of room around the thing, it's performed its tasks perfectly for a couple of years now...a great sounding humless, microphonicless, clean preamp. 
I've run mine 8 hours today and while it does get warm, no need to move my hand either.  I've been so impressed with this pre  I have decided to use the Aegir for my second system after it was graded "A" on the Stereophile list.  Frankly they could ask for twice the price and I would still buy it again.  I run the Tube mode 100% of the time.