scd 777es sacd sony mod worth it?

hey. there is a gent (think he's a memeber here) who seems like a straight-up guy over the phone. he does mods for the 777es which, he says, really opens up the sound stage and mellows the highs. his name's richard and his website is http://www.audiomod.com/

just wondering if any people have done this mod and/or have thoughts about doing it. it's pretty cheap. i like the 777es as is but who knows what i'm missing.
equipment used with it:
arc vt100mkII
arc ref1 line
space-tech phono
oracle delphi mkI tt
acoustat mod III speakers
vandersteen 2wq sub

as always, thanks in advance.
kublakhan

Showing 2 responses by lornecherry

This thread is getting better as it progresses and I think Rcprince echoed my sentiment when he suggested that SACD is differnt than analogue -- superior in some areas, but lacking in others.

Hopefully, more niche manufactures will improve upon the Sony format, widening the appeal and bringing it past the 'tweaker's domain'so that format continues to improve.
Richard Kern has just emailed me that the Audiomod.com parts for the XA777ES are arriving very soon. I've opted for the whole treatment, including Richard's analogue stage mods and the superclock.

With respect to the performance of the stock XA777ES, I've been reluctant to report on the Sony after my original review, as the XA never really had a chance to settle in -- mostly my fault: I changed the preamp to the six-channel TAP9000es in order to accommodate my DVD-A player, and then I changed many of the cables to Stealth PGS and A/B'd with the Cardas Golden Ref. All this, right around 300 hours -- so any review vs. my fully broken-in SCD-1 would have been highly subjective and probably misleading. Hence my silence over the past month or so.

I did however decide to sell my SCD-1 last week, as I felt the XA777Es was close to the two channel SACD performance of the SCD-1, the XA had the multichannel advantage, and clearly the XA had better Redbook. But even using the word "better" is subjective: the sonic signatures were quite different and some may actually prefer the darker, more clinical sound of Redbook on the SCD-1 to the smooth, rounded sonic signature of the XA, depending on system synergy, et al.

As I was able to sell the SCD-1 for $2750 (just $100 less than what Oade will sell you a new SCD-1 for), I can always go back to the big Sony classic without taking a financial bath -- the SCD-1 was a marvel of quality, and I do miss that 10-second sliding top cover orchestra.

To quash those rumors that the XA777 might be better on 2-channel SACD than the SCD-1; in my opinion, it was not -- the slight edge went to the SCD-1, although my XA was never really broken/settled-in to do a real head-to-head. All in all, I am inconclusive as to whether or not the XA's newer technology outweighs the SCD-1's build quality in terms of sonic benefits on SACD -- time will tell.

To sum, both are excellent values, with parallel sonic signatures on two channel SACD, but are totally different sounding when you drop in your favorite Redbook disc. But, neither was a good as an Audio Aero Capitole -- my "reference" for Redbook -- nor should they be, given the street price difference.

Now back to the audiomod.com mods for the XA777es: Hopefully, the audiomod.com parts + superclock + analogue upgrades will bring the XA777es up to a truly world class player that equals or surpasses the Capitole benchmark for Redbook I have artificially set. (SACD performance is already adequate for me - with my unfriendly room limiting the subtle sonic benefits that may be realized in SACD by the modded player)

The deciding factor(s) to go ahead with the mods? I read an earlier post that one of the modifications providers was able to offer better service than Sony and at a reasonable cost when the poster's 777ES broke down independently of the mods, but within the timeframe of the original Sony warranty. So my worry was not so much $200-$300 for a repair that would normally be in-warranty, but rather the fact that I don't want to be without the player for a any length of time -- time is money too. That, and Jim's very detailed account of the benefits of the mods to his Sony, tipped the scales and caused me to chase my early-adopter tail one more time.

In all, I will spend about $3,800 ($2,000 to Oade for the player and $1800 or so for all the mods.) When I look at what Accuphase and Classe want for their premium players, this still seems like a bargain. Finally, keeping the SCD-1 and XA777es and then adding an Audio Aero for Redbook was a foolish, ill-thought-out plan: a rat's nest of cables, not to mention the expense of good cabling for three players (I'm hooked on the Stealth PGS and Cardas Golden Refs). So my immediate goal is: system simplification and the best front end under $5K, used or new. I rationalize this goal is both sonically and financially feasible, and echoes that of many fellow inmates -- hopefully, I 've made a wise choice.

Richard said he would get the modded XA back to me around Christmas. I'll let you know if I've indeed found the Holy Grail or if I'm trapped in a Monty Python-like quest for endless upgrades. --Lorne