Saw the Stereophile review of the B&W 800 Diamond

... an based on John Atkinson's comments on the measurements, it looks like they are a pretty similar speaker to the 802D.

Anyone done an A/B/A comparison?
goatwuss

Showing 4 responses by budt

I had the B&W 802D and traded up to the latest 800 Diamond. If I were to rate them on a scale of 1-10 I would say the 802D would score a 6 and the 800 Diamonds a 9 .
The 800 Diamonds do a lot of things very very well. I can't say the same for the older 802D .
Well, we all hear differently and of course personal taste comes into play. I haven't heard that many speakers but I find the 800 Diamond to sound very natural and has the best tweeter I ever heard in any speaker regardless of price. I don't find it "sparkly" but very natural. The only real downfall the speaker has in my opinion is in dynamics but I find all passive designs compressed compared to true fully active designs( where there is an active electronic crossover and the amp is hooked directly to the driver).
Kal
I just read your review of the B&W 800 Diamond. I have been living with these speakers for about 6 months now and I think you nailed it perfectly. We all use different adjectives to describe things but in the context used I agree 100% with your assessment. I would also like to mention they are very sensitive to what's upstream and they definitely become more liquid as the crossovers break in.

My rating of 1-10 is compared to live music. The cost of the speaker is irrelevant and of course it is just "my opinion". I rate the 802D at 6 and 800 Diamond at 9 compared to live music.The 802D sounds veiled and has excessive bass bloat in my opinion( which is why it only scores a 6 for me ).
I did hear the 805 Diamond and thought it was better than the older 802D( imo).