Rowland 625 versus Audio Research DS450

I'm a big fan of Rowland Products. I heard the 625 at CES and was rather impressed by its huge solid soundstage, and the detailed yet mellifluous sound. I was rather depressed by the price tag. I was hoping it would be in Rowland 501 range.

I also heard the Audio Research DS450 with Magnepans at CES. While the sound was very relaxed and tube like, I didn't hear as much bass, as I would have liked. Perhaps it was the speakers or the recordings played?

I noticed both manufacturers avoided the term Class D or "Ice Module" like the plague. I think Class D has become a dirty word among some audiophiles...

Any other thoughts on how the sound of the Rowland 625 compares to Audio Research's DS450?

I would like to save up for one of them. The DS450 or even DS225 seem like they might be "better bang for the buck" (in relative terms). Appreciate your comments. Tks!
optimus

Showing 8 responses by audiozen

Optimus, you may want to consider the just released DS450M mono blocks from Audio Research. There power supply is overkill with over 176,000 microfarads in each amp. A serious brute. Audio Research never used Ice modules in the past, but did use Tripath modules, which is now out of business. All current class D products from Audio Research use their own made in house designed switching module. Class D has always got a bum rap since the first experiments started in 1958 with poor results. At the time, amps kept blowing up since they could not handle the large volumes of modulating current, until John Ulrick came along in 1968 and installed a class D amp in an active subwoofer when he owned Infinity. Audiophiles also need to understand that class D has nothing to do with digital whatsover, unless specified, it is nothing more than a category classification of an analog amplifier.
Optimus, you may want to consider the just released DS450M mono blocks from Audio Research. There power supply is overkill with over 176,000 microfarads in each amp. A serious brute. Audio Research never used Ice modules in the past, but did use Tripath modules, which is now out of business. All current class D products from Audio Research use their own made in house designed switching module. Class D has always gotten a bum rap since the first experiments started in 1958 with poor results. At the time, amps kept blowing up since they could not handle the large volumes of modulating current, until John Ulrick came along in 1968 and installed a class D amp in an active subwoofer when he owned Infinity. Audiophiles also need to understand that class D has nothing to do with digital whatsover, unless specified, it is nothing more than a category classification of an analog amplifier.
Yes Guidocorona..they retail for $10K a pair. you can check out the amp's interior on Google images..I am leaning towards the AR's over the Spectron. The AR's have a much larger power supply and weigh just over 37 lbs each.
Optimus..looking more closely into the interior of the Audio Research DS 450M does not reveal very much make up such as extensive circuit boards and parts. A little on the skimpy side. A lot of caps and minimal board work. For $10K I wonder if one is paying more for a name than whats in the unit. Overall, the Bel Canto Reference 1000M MK.2 is the better value with more power at $ 6K a pair, and 500 watts rms. The Bel Canto peaks at 45 amperes and the Audio Research peaks at 35 amperes. The Bel Canto is on the warm side and I would think the AR as well since its voiced from their tube amps.
Optimus..Class D is a threat to a traditional transfer function topology that has been around for sixty years. Many of the established High End component companies are not in a position to re-format. If a class D product has a large enough power supply and high peak amperage, it will equal the best A or A/AB amps. Large volumes of current is what should be focused on. If a class D device can provide
the same volume of current on the long and short term as a 100 to 200 lb. conventional amp, then the class D amp is a superior product. The three best class D amps on the market are the Spectron Musician 111 MK.2 with the deluxe V-Cap upgrade, which is a second option over the standard V-Cap upgrade, which Simon can explain, the new Nuforce Reference 18's, and the Bel Canto Reference 1000M MK. 2..these amps have won the battle..Game Over....
Guidocorona..the two factor's I look at for class D is the ampere output, and the db level the amp can achieve before signal break up occurs. The Bel Canto's can be taken all the way up to 130 db's before strain occurs. That's damn impressive. Sonically, class D amps that have high DB and ampere numbers will always sound sonically superior especially on the bottom. The most exciting future class D product coming out in 2012, is the Wyred 4 Sound four piece mono amps. The goal is to top Bel Canto. The amps will be a separate mono chassis with a separate power supply foe each side. It will give Spectron a run for the money.
Correction...the db level of the Bel Canto is 120 db's, not 130 db's..my mistake..
OK Al..Its my understanding the 120db level has nothing to do with SPL but the limit the amp can reach equivalent to the current output that equals a 120 db level. This has nothing to do with speakers, just the current level the amp puts out equal to 120 db's. Beyond that, the amp could not sonically perform.