Rotel RSX-1055 and RMB-1075

Anyone ever use these together? Is there a benefit or is it just as well to use the receiver's internal amps? They have the same power ratings.
I have these for my 2nd combo system and I don't want to waste any more money on extra cables, if there is no benefit to use the external amp. Or, I could keep the amp, sell the recever and buy a processor. The kicker is currently I'm only using L,R and center speakers. These are B&W CDM7NT's and a CDMCNT, which also are bi-wire and bi-amp cabable.
Appreciate any thoughts or suggestions
Jeff
jdodmead

Showing 1 response by nick778

As a general rule, a seperate amp is going to drive your speakers better and sound better than the amp that is inside a receiver. The RSX-1055 is somewaht dated both in terms of its DTS chip and DACs.

B&W speakers sound their best at power levels (from a good quality high current amp) close to or over the maximum spec for them. I believe your main speakers spec out 200 watts/channel but I may be wrong.

If you plan to keep the speakers and want to stay with Rotel, I would sell both components and move up to seperates using a RMB-1095 Rotel amp connected to their RSP-1068 or HDMI capabale RSP-1069 processor. You can buy the RSP-1068 for around $850 since the newer RSP-1069 came out. If you can spend more the RSP-1098 is their best processor and sounds better than the aforementioned.

If all this is too much money for your application, I'd sell both components and just go with a RSX-1067 Rotel receiver which should have enough power to drive the three speakers (I think they rate it at 100-110 watts/channel) and has all the latest DTS modes, chips, DACs etc. The sound won't be as 'good' as with seperates but it all depends on your budget and application. Used RSX-1067 receivers are running around $1100-1250.