Rotel 1067 vs. Denon 3805?

I want to replace my old Onkyo 70x5 receiver. I've been looking at the Rotel 1067 and the Denon 3805. Which receiver would be a good match for me? Any other quality receiver suggestions in this price range would be appreciated.

My requirements:
I want 7.1 capability with 3 sets of component inputs or upconverting of S-video. My husband and I are movie fans and rarely listen to music. We have a large open living room, 17x21, with cathedral ceilings going up to 18'. The living room has a large unclosable opening to the kitchen at one end (open floor plan).

My equipment:
We're using my husband's older 6 ohm Cerwin Vega RE-25 for the mains. (These will one day be upgraded when space allows to floorstanding towers.) My center is a B&W HTM1. The rears are B&W Nautilus 805s. I currently do not have a sub but can get a LOT of bass out of those CVs. Adding a sub after I get a good HT A/V receiver will also be on my TO DO list.
norma_s

Showing 1 response by lincoln30

I disagree with fiberzap. The new Rotel has a very similar feature set to the Denon. I personally consider the Rotel an entry-level hi-end piece where the Denon is high-level mid-end. Plus I think the Rotel is a better match for the B&W speakers. I would go and demo both and buy the one that you think is easier to use (and has a better remote, if you not already planning on using a third party remote). Dollar for dollar, pound for pound the Rotel is going to sound a little better.