Rogue Pharoah II

Hi folks,

A few months ago I picked up a pair of Magnepan 1.7i speakers from a kind soul who was downsizing his system. I’m looking for recommendations for a worthy amplifier to pair them with?

I’ve been down to the local audio store and heard them with the Rogue Sphinx and the Hegel 190, neither of which sounded particularly outstanding. I’m wondering if folks have tried pairing them with the more powerful Rogue Pharoah II? Would they be a good match for the Magnepan 1.7i’s, or even my older pair of Ohm Walsh 2000s? I’m intrigued by this amplifier.

Alternatively, what are some other amps people have paired with the Magnepans to and been wowed by?

Thanks! 

aamiransari

I am using a Bryston 3B SST2 with Bryston PB26 preamp and my 1.7i's sound Fantastic.  Bryston amps have had a reputation for being a great match with Maggies.

Yes and yes. If it has the features you need Pharoah will be hard to beat soundwise!

Local dealer who sells ARC and Rogue and Magnepan indicated to me even original Pharoah was his favorite and I agree it sounded great with Maggies.

Its on the list of integrated amps I would use with my Ohms.

@grekon39 thanks! Will look for a local dealer to audition them.

@mapman thanks! I’m wondering if I can negotiate a good deal on the amp with the local seller. Hopefully they’ll be willing to knock some $$ off the MSRP. 

I've played with a lot of Maggies and I never had good luck with tube amps, Although the 3.6s sounded really good with a couple of McIntosh 300-watt tube mono-blocks. I had tube amps on my .7s and that didn't work out either. The Maggies need deep power with a good top end. The Parasound A21+ is a good budget choice or a strong Bryston if you have a good pre-amp. My buddy did well with his 1.6s and a Musical Fidelity integrated, think M5 or better. That's the deal with Maggies like the littlest ones at less than 1000 bucks but sounds best with about 10K of amps on it. 

Post removed