rogue audio m150 owners

I have rogue audio m150 monos that are a little over a year old , today I measured my power tubes on a tube tester and I was suprised that my tubes were barely testing "good" . they seemed to have lost most of there power. the tubes are EH kt88s . is this normal ? how many hours is average for this type of tube ? I am new to the world of tubes and I thought I would get 3-5000 hours of good use before needed replacement. Also, have any m150 owners tried any different brands of tubes? Is there one that stands out from the others? please help ! thanks and happy listening!
chrissain

Showing 2 responses by steidlguitars

Chrissain, I own a Rogue 90 and found that the KT88s (Penta Labs) were reading "pretty darned tired" within a year. They still sound fine, though, and I could not distinguish them sound-wise from a fresh set.

If you retube your amps, consider something other than EHs. They are a reliable tube, but they don't sound as good as some others. Even though the Pentas sound very good, I won't recommend them as they have failed frequently for me; of the 8 or 10 I have, 4 have failed, some while very young.

My next set will be Genalex Gold Lion KT88 Reissue Tubes that most people really love.

Tweak, I recently bought a Bel Canto Class D amp (the 300 watt stereo version) which is surprisingly good. In the end, I could not bring myself to replace the Rogue with it (although I wanted to) because there seems to be a magic something the Bel Canto can quite match; very close, but not quite.

I had been driving a set of Dali Helicon 400s and just recently traded those out for a set of Dynaudio Contour S3.4 which the Rogues drive well, but surely are working harder to do so.

Bob
> What is about the EH kt88 sound that you dont like?

I like them fine, but I felt the Penta Labs were better in just about every way. When new they also test much higher than the EHs, so in general it sounds like they just produce more power. Definitely not thinner sounding.

I have not yet tried the Genelex tubes, but 3-4 people I know that have tried them prefer them. They are next for me.

> I was thinking about some SED kt88s, anybody heard them?

I have a set and they look EXACTLY like the Penta Lab tubes and I don't know but bet they are made in the same factory as the Pentas.

For what it is worth, I bought the set I have from a guy who clearly preferred the Genelex tubes.

Bob