Rogue Audio M-120 vs M-150

Hello;

I've had a pair of Rogue Audio Magnum M-120 amps for about 18 months now and drive them with a Rogue Audio Magnum 99 preamp. I've been extremely pleased with them, to say the least. Well I recently called Mark of Rogue Audio to order a new set of output tubes and he made me a great offer on upgrading my amps to the newer M-150's. Unfortunately there is no place near me where I can listen to the M-150's so if I upgrade it will have to be without hearing them first. Mark thinks I would be happy with the upgrade and he hasn't steered me wrong yet, but I was hoping to get some additional input before making a decision.

Mark tells me that the newer design produces far less heat, has about double the output tube life, and is more dynamic and transparent. Given how pleased I've been with my current amps I'm more than a little hesitant, but if I can take my system up a notch at a reasonable price, why not? Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Have a good day
Brad
a292

Showing 5 responses by scottht

Just curious as to how much this is going to cost. Can you tell us?
Thanks, Scott.
And does this price exclude the faceplates you are forgoing?
Oh I know. A few years ago I had a HK AVR85 for HT and music. It didn't work for music at all. I was also running Paradigm speakers and that was a shame also.
Finaly had to build all new HT and Music systems.
My brother in-law had his M120's converted to the 150's. He said it is a big change for the better. This does also include adjustable bias for 1 tube i believe. Must be the 12ax7. and has a meter.
He is in Florida and I am in NY so I haven't heard them yet.
I know he paid $1400 for the upgrade including the face plates. The new fronts are quite a bit thicker than the old 120's plates.
I was going to suggest the same thing. Maybe ask for the price without the KT88 tubes.
I don't know how much power you need but, In triode mode, the amps don't start to clip until right around 100 watts