RMAF 2011: Any tips?

I'm going to Rocky Mountain Audiofest this year for the first time. There's a lot to see, and I'm not quite sure how to prioritize. Does anyone have advice about things that shouldn't be missed? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Bryon
bryoncunningham

Showing 4 responses by jax2

Now that I know you won't embarrass me by wearing white shoes I'll point to a few friends I'd who I'd suggest taking a listen to their offerings. I don't know that all will be there, but here's a few suggestions in no particular order - mostly stuff that might be more challenging to hear at dealers - not positive that all will be there, but if they are, their rooms will most certainly be worth a listen:

Daedalus Speakers
Modwright
AudioMachina Speakers
TAD
Atmasphere/Classic Audio (usually together)
First Sound
AudioKinesis
Art Audio
Oh, and one further suggestion, more in the novelty department. I can't recall whether it was RMAF or CES, but I heard an impressive demonstration of Maggie's mini speakers at one of them, when they were still in prototype stage. Here's a brief review of the production version. They are releasing those speakers in September at $1495. They should therefore be at RMAF, and would certainly be worth a listen if you were in the market for a mini speaker for a bedroom or office. I think in the demo they were using a sub with them, and the results in a very large room were quite impressive. I don't think they played them without the sub for that demo so I wonder what they'd sound like without it.
Per Swamp - that is CanJam. Even if you are not into headphones you might enjoy some of the stuff they'll be sure to have there. Check out Stax 009's (look for the crowd) and perhaps you'd enjoy Audeze's LCD-2's, which I use whenever my wife needs a bit of quiet in the house. Good call. There will also be various vendors hocking actual music, some of it difficult to come by otherwise.