Review: Paradigm PW-2200 Subwoofer

Category: Speakers

I have been listening to this sub for about 4 years now and must say that I have grown more attached to it than almost any other part of my system. Before I bought this I didn't think a sub was that big of a deal--I am running a pair of Paradigm 9SEmk3 for my mains and they have a good amount of bass. But then I began to notice, when I watched movies, sometimes the BOOMS didn't do it for me. I tried moving my speakers around and even touching the dread tone controls on my receiver. To no avail, but ah! I realized that I needed to add a sub to my system. So I went down to my local Hi-Fi shop and auditioned some subs. I checked a few offerings from paradigm (PW2200, Servo 15, PW2500), and the Sunfire True. I must say that out of all the subs I listened to the Servo 15 was the best but the PW2200 was close behind and costs a hell of a lot less. So I dropped my $700 and lugged the box of doom home. The rest is history now, the BOOMS make me happy now and I even noticed a pretty darn big difference in my music listening with the sub. Some things just need to be THERE in a recording and the full range and volume of bass is certainly one of them. The PW2200 delivers in spades and I am quite pleased with my purchase. For what I spent on the sub, I would recommend that anyone in the market for a sub checks this one out. The integration and sound is seamless and very delicious. Go try a bite for yourself.

Associated gear
Yamaha RX-V800 A/V receiver
Sony CDP-XA20ES DVD player
Sony DVP-S530D DVD player
Audioquest Ruby interconnects
Audioquest Type-4 speaker wire
Stinger 10AWG oxygen-free copper interconnect from sub to line-level output on receiver
Paradigm 9SEmk3 loudspeakers
Paradigm Atom loudspeakers
Paradigm LCR-350 loudspeaker

Similar products
Earthquake
Sunfire True
Paradigm PDR-12
rrayda

Showing 1 response by phizzer

I agree with you on your subwoofer choice. I have the pw-2200 with the studio 80's and I get massive bass response. I originally had it with a pair of monitor 3s v2 but upgraded. I live in an apartment in nyc and my neighbors all just "love" me. I get the usual complaints about a thunderous sound one or even two floors down. I have the sub out in the living room with no carpet except for a tiny area rug, which the sub is resting on. I listen to two channel and love the sub because it is tight as well as deep.