Review: Green Mountain Audio Europa Monitor

Category: Speakers

They finally arrived and the fear that I just sold a great sounding pair of Legacy Studios for speakers I have never heard, is beginning to fade. I know I still have 200+ hours of brake-in ahead of me to really know...but some things I can tell already. There is a sense of 'more power', and less effort for the speakers to produce more sound. I descibe it like this: let's say you have a Honda Civic that you have been working on making it faster, with the latest electronics and turbo and all the trick stuff..and its really fast. Then Larry the mechanic moves next door and comes over and says "Let's put a Chevy V-8 in that bugger and see what it does". So we cram this V-8 into it, change the suspension etc. so its driveable. Now remember, Larry isn't soffisticated and has grease under his finger nails and the instalation isn't all pretty and color coordinated....but when you turn the key to turn it on you get goose bumps and your heart rate increases...and it now does stuff your pretty little sooped up Honda engine could never do. The Europas aren't pretty and they are very hand made and come in a plain box; but wait till you turn the key! More after 200 hours.

Associated gear
B&K avr202, Denon DVD-2800, Signal Cable cabling.

Similar products
Legacy Studios
jceisner

Showing 1 response by gma-4369

Sunnyjim-
Thank you for the compliments! And my thanks to the others here for theirs.

There may be several factors at work here, Sunnyjim-

The speakers probably need more break in, especially with hard-driving bass at a fairly loud level. You should notice substantial changes after 12 hours of continuous play. Contact me if you want to discuss this more. Drubin above gives good advice on this.

The amp is fine- not the weak link right now, especially for the things you are hearing.

On the CJ, I would suspect the tubes, but I'm no expert- perhaps the tube forum folks would have something to say about the specific things you are hearing, or not hearing.

The "flat upper midrange", to my knowledge has never been a criticism of the Europas- thus, I suspect the tubes and also the first pair of interconnects in the system from the CD player. I would strongly recommend the current version of Audio Magic's "Sorcerer" interconnect cable. The clear yet suave way it presents the music is exceptional compared to the many other cables we have heard.

With your shape of room, the cathedral ceiling is a challenge, as that's often "where the bass goes"- into a lot of cubic feet. Bass reproduction may also be a problem from your ~2:1 ratio between the room's length and width. You would best sit NOT at the halfway point- bass would disappear there, from a standing wave null. A room's effect on the bass is hard to predict from size alone- the construction of the floor, walls, and ceiling, along with the presence of windows and doors affect everything below 100Hz.

Hope this helps! If you do notice a problem in a certain tone range, it's important to play a lot of music of that tone range to expedite the break-in process.

Contact me directly if I can be of assistance.

Best regards,
Roy Johnson
President/Product Designer
Green Mountain Audio

719 636-2500
[email protected]

PS: Jceisner is right about that fellow's tube amps!