Revel Ultima Salon 2's vs B&W 802d's

Alrighty, I've seen some discussion here on these speakers. I'm currently doing a demo in my home on the Revels vs the B&W 802d's (I own both). In the near future I'm selling one or the other pair here.

Suggestions for the demo (i.e. CD's)?
Opinions?
Things to look for?

They both sound good and have different characteristics. I'll post some thoughts later - I've got some opinions now, but I want a longer test with these speakers.

Now guys I don't need to hear how this or that speaker is better than these two - I'll do another comparison later (IOW's no hobby horse discussions).

PS. I'm an old fart so some of my high end hearing is gone. I'm trying to listen a bunch before I go deaf and to ingrain good sound into my synapses.
Later.
Ag insider logo xs@2xnab2

Showing 2 responses by ryder

As you've figured out, both these speakers sound quite different from one another. I have listened to the Salon2 couple of times driven by W4S amps in a less than ideal listening environment. I have not listened to the 802D but have the privilege to listen to an older pair of N802s driven by a pair of Sonic Frontier tube monoblocks, also in a mediocre listening room. It is a matter of taste which speakers sound better. Both speakers do dynamics pretty well with the Revels having an edge at the frequency extremes, though I thought they were little analytical for my taste. Both speakers are substantially built and the looks of the 802Ds are an acquired taste.

I feel the Revels do all the hifi traits very well ie. detail, imaging, soundstaging etc. There is a fine line between hifi and musicality. Not to sure what amps you are using to drive both speakers but matching them with the right amps is crucial in getting them to perform to their capabilities. With the wrong amps in the wrong room they can sound pretty mediocre. The owner of the N802 preferred the Sonic Frontier tube monoblocks to the Mcintosh MC402, citing a more open, lively and transparent sound of the former. You may want to try your favorite collection of music on both speakers to see what kind of genres they excel in. I believe both are good all-rounders that can play most material with aplomb.

The Revels and B&Ws are quality speakers. Do let us know how you get along with them.
I think the W4S amps were an average match with the Revel Salon 2, or the setup in the room was below par. Either way I believe the W4S amps and Salon 2 are great products that will truly shine in the appropriate set up.

One point to note is my friend who owns the Salon 2 moved from the Mark Levinsons to the W4S amps which is kind of weird. Similarly I thought the MLs will be a much better match to the highly revealing nature of the Revels due to their warmer/darker character. I'm really puzzled with this. Nonetheless I have to admit the listening environment where the system was located is not ideal -the listening room is small and the speakers were set up at near-field with the listener less than 8' from the speakers.

There have been many instances the B&Ws are slammed for their lacklustre and uninspiring presentation. I do not find that the case with the N802s that I have experienced in my friend's system. I can just imagine how much better the 802Ds will be. I guess it all boils down to expectations and personal preference.