Return to Audio: What Products to Consider?

Hi, I'm getting back into audio and I'm curious what amplification products this forum would recommend. For criteria, here's what I would list; very good sound (of course), warm rather than analytical, but not muddy or bright, of good, long-lasting quality, from a manufacturer with integrity, costing a few grand or less (I don't always equate quality with price), to be used with classical, folk, world, bluegrass, jazz, electronica music. Mostly low-level listening, with some higher volume (those first few watts should really count) with CD source. I want something to be proud of for me, not for my ego. I want to escape into the music, not hear the equipment. What would you recommend here? Thank you!
andrewb450

Showing 2 responses by gold001

I agree with lugnut. You can't go wrong with that Naim 32/160 pre-power combo for $660. You can get a nice Rega Planet CD player for under $400. Pair this with your choice of inexpensive speakers and you've got a wonderful system. Rega, B&W, Linn, Mission, all make some nice inexpensive speakers that are suposed to sound good with Naim gear.

The nice thing about the old Naim gear is that the value is stabilized. The values are even starting to rise on some items. I think this is due to the fact the Naim still services every model, no matter how old.

-Patrick

Should you choose the speakers first?

I belive that when you're building a system you first need to get a quality source. Put a large chunk of your budget there. Then move on to a good solid amp. If you've puchased the best sounding source and amp you can afford it's possible to use a pair of well designed, but inexpensive speakers. This type of system should be one based on expensive speakers with a lesser source and amp.

-patrick