Restored Fisher 400 - impressed

I just had my fisher 400 restored/refurbished and I am completely blown away.  What is odd is I have/had some decent integrated amps and separates (I have a  LFD, had a Plinius 9100, and separates - Clayton s40 and coda pre-amp.  Also have a resolution Cantata 2.0 that has a pre-amp built in a different system).  The fisher 400 may not beat them in all categories - I think bass control is perhaps the Fisher's largest fault, but when I say fault that is minimal.  

Has anyone done serious blind A/B comparisons with restored/refurbished legacy gear to modern gear?  I'd be curious to do a blind test with some of the better tube and SS integrated amps.  

Right now the fisher is in my 'heritage system' - I have a pair of modded Cornwall 1s, fisher 400 and a schiit  bi-frost multi-bit DAC.  This system is easily had for under 2K, but with patience can probably be found and built for 1600.  

I see why older amps have increased in price.  They look and perform good.

mindlessminion

Showing 4 responses by roxy54

mindlessminion,
I know exactly what you mean. In 1976, I owned a pair of Klipschorns and borrowed my friends unmodded Fisher 400. Blown away may be an overused term, and nor very descriptive, but yes, I was. The sound was huge and very realistic, full of detail, color, and surprise...ease! I have toyed for years with the idea of buying another one, especially since I own another set of efficient Klipsch speakers now.

It isn't just a piece for nostalgia, it is a damn fine integrated amplifier for efficient to moderately efficient speakers, in this day or any other! Thanks for the reminder. 

jetter,

Yes, you can, and I did, but there is no substitute for real binding posts. I do recommend those adaptors for folks who don't want to remove the original strips. 

I'm remembering now that I came really close to buying one about 5 years ago, and one thing that stopped me is those ancient binding posts. If I did buy one, I would have them changed for some modern ones as I did with my Mac 2105. 

I went with WBT. After all of the years of dealing with the old strips on Mac amps, it is such a pleasure. Of course, I lost the option for 4 and 16 ohm connection, but my speakers are 8 ohm, and I 've also used my Mac with 4 ohm speakers with no problems.

I know that most people would never consider doing that because of resale value, but I have no regrets whatsoever.