Repair my Sony CDP 608 ESD?

I have a very clean Sony 608 ESD, I bought it brand new in 1986. So I can not complain that it has been a good sounding and flawless performing player all these 29 years. So, lately it is getting touchy, and skips at the slightest footfall, the laser head must be going out? I've been shopping for a replacement, looking at used Esoteric's and Marantz's, used in the $1k to $2.5k range. and am wondering if I may be better served if I just had this unit repaired? In fact, even if I do buy another used CD player, maybe I should have it repaired anyway, just so I can resell it and save it from the scrap heap? Does anyone know of a good shop that I could have the repairs made at a reasonable cost? Any thoughts on a replacement? Thanks in advance.

Russ
alpha_gt

Showing 2 responses by tonykay

Lucky for you there are probably no parts to repair your unit. The Sony 608 ES was amazing in its day, but that day passed a long time ago. You will be floored by the improvement in sound of a new player, when you do get one. If you insist on the retro style of the Sony there are many great players that you can pick up used for half your budget (Sony SCD777 and 9000ES come to mind). Do what you think is best, but for my money (or yours) I would check out that Oppo line. Great value for money!
"I am buying a Cary 306 that's 4 years old, hopefully it will last me a good while"

I congratulate you on deciding against repairing your Sony. FWIW, it's a familiar dilemma. If the Cary gives out, take a serious look at the Oppo 105D (or 103D). Right out of the box, it's crazy good (and affordable).