Repair a Sony SCD 777ES?

My 12 year old Sony SCD-777ES stopped working today. After the disc is inserted and the cover closes it makes some unhappy grinding and clanking noises as it attempts to spin the disk. It also switches automatically to SACD mode even with a redbook cd, but never starts to actually play the disc.

Can these old Sony's be repaired? It is a decent player and an excellent transport for my dac, I hate to just junk it! Any recommendations on the best way to get it repaired?
stickman451

Showing 1 response by danielk141

Flip a coin. Those are your chances of a satisfactory service trip to Sony in Laredo, Texas.
I sent them my 777 in it's original box.
The first thing they do is recycle your box. Then they fix the player on a flat rate schedule.
My player came back to Phoenix in a single box, with the heavy CD puck in a plastic bag, duct taped to the top of the player, with one piece of duct tape. This allowed the puck to slap against the surface of the player, marring it.
And, most importantly, the player still wouldn't play CDs or SACDs.
I had to wait for a Sony tech to call me (in a 2 day window) before I could get an RA # from Sony.
The biggest insult came next. The tech said every piece is thoroughly tested before it is shipped. I actually had to return the player with (1 each) non playing CD & SACD.
He said it was probably my discs. Yeah, right!
The player came back, this time with a new transport. Since I had already paid $220.00, the 2nd repair was "free".
Sony had my player tied up for over a month. When I questioned why my original box disappeared, they said this point is clearly stated in their FAQ section.
I immediately sold the player, and sold my XA7ES a year or 2 later. I'll never buy another Sony player.