Reliability/Repair Issues w/Sony 9000es DVD player

Every time I get ready to buy one of these used, it seems I read another thread by someone who's having trouble with theirs, or sending it off for repair. Does anyone have a grasp of how troublesome these actually are, &/or what are the usual problem areas? Also, is the warranty transferable, & how long is it (I've been told both 3, & 5, years)? And finally, where would someone in New England send a Sony product for repair? I'd spring for the extra $$ to get a new Sony DVP-NS999ES (with warranty), but I've read that the SACD performance is better with the 9000es, one of my main considerations. Thanks in advance for any info. or advice!
steveaudio

Showing 1 response by scuba

I own two, and have never had a problem with either. They are both heavily modified by Dan Wright. The stock version is quite decent, particularly with SACD. HOWEVER, modifications turn this machine into a completely different animal. SACD becomes VERY impressive, and redbook playback is brought amazingly close to SACD (assuming very good recordings, of course). One caveat: as with all individual components, it's ultimate performance level will be dependent on the entire system. The modified 9000ES can hold its own in a system of very fine components.