REL G2 or JL Audio F112 ..thoughts for 2 channel

I have a pair of Sonus Faber Cremona M's floor standing speakers.....they go down to 40 hertz.......I was thinking about adding a sub in a room that is about 11' across and 20' deep with a 7' celing.....the speakers are on the short wall. The room is all ASC treated. I do not have all that much room on the side or in back due to Purist Audio cabeling......but it could be worked out. I have heard that the REL G2's would go well and yes I know they are both owned by Sumiko.....your thoughts
garebear

Showing 1 response by shoff

Garebear,

Regarding your assumption: Not necessarily! The Rel has a separate .1 LFE input that you can connect directly to an AV system for for HT and still use the high level connection for music. There are also separate volume controls for these two purposes. These are very user friendly features. Hook-up is indeed easy! The JL's however come with a microphone to assist with best postioning. The REL's are more difficult to place.

Set up in the usual way, both the REL and JL "integrate" with your speakers while they run "full range". However, I talked with Barry at JL (954-443-1100). He recommends that the proper way run the JL is with a separate outboard crossover (e.g. Marchand) set at 80hz so that the sub actually takes over the low frequency duties of you speaker, allowing the speaker to concentrate on frequencies above 80hz. In my mind this begs the question, "Do you really then need two subs?". I would give him a call.