Rega RP8 or Technics SL1200G

I'm a bit reluctant to post this "either or question" because I know that everything in this hobby is subjective, but here goes.

I currently have a Rega RP3-24 with an Exact 2 and I want to upgrade to my final turntable. I have read all the reviews that are available on both tables and both received stellar reviews, although Fremer stated that his RP8 sample table ran a little fast. I like the simplicity of the RP8 ($3000), however, I also like the adjustability of the SL1200G ($4000) which eases the task of trying different cartridges, although I don't plan on swapping out cartridges very often. On the other hand, I am not adverse to using spacers to adjust VTA on the Rega so I can try  non Rega cartridges. 

So it really comes down to which table sounds better, which is built better, etc. I would like to hear from anyone who owns or has heard either of these tables. I won't have the opportunity to audition either one.

I listen to rock, jazz and some classical.

The rest of my system is:
Cayin A-88T MKII Integrated with Gold Lion KT88's or Svetlana Winged C EL34  
PS Audio GCPH w/Underwood Mod (planning to upgrade to Parasound JC3+)
Harbeth SHL5 Plus 40th Anniversary
Rega Apollo-R
Accuphase T101
Cables: Morrow PH4 to phone preamp 

Thanks in advance.
Eric

ericsch

@ericsch 

I got a chance to hear the Hana SL cart at the last Capital Audio Fest.  This is a very musical sounding cart with nothing I could point my finger at as doing wrong and at its price point a strong choice.  The room using the Hana was a fun and nicely balanced room run by Dr. Vinyl.  The TT holding the Hana was a Pear Audio Kid Howard turntable with Cornet 2 tonearm ($4995). 

That puts it in the quality tier of the Technics 1200G in my mind, but I still prefer the values of DD and ease of use.  I'm sure the Technics will bring out the its best.  IMO the only reason the Technics isn't a $5k table is a function of Panasonic's engineering and mfg scale. I'm stealing that from other reviewer observations but I happen to agree.

BTW, my other short list option was the VPI Prime, but that was based more on looks.  In the end function, opinions on reliability, hearing it with my own ears, and to many respects glowing reviews for the Technics won out.  Blindly, I'm sold on DD.

@ericsch on why the replacement head shell

I’m opting for the minor upgrade in head shells for yes, azimuth adjustments primarily. I’m not expecting huge gains in sound over the stock head shell, but some have said it was a step up.

I also want the same head shell for comparisons between my two carts. My AT ART9 is new and not even broken in yet. Once it fully blooms I’ll do A/B testing with my Lyra Delos. Another thread on this site that focuses on the ART9 suggested by some that the ART9 might be the better cart at roughly half the cost. I want to see for myself so I have to have similar mountings. Early listening has convinced me the two are quite different. Being better depends on lots of things. The ART9 has a fuller presentation and perhaps better channel separation.  The Delos is very precise with perhaps deeper and better controlled bass.  Still too early for the final votes.  We’ll see. The idea of having two carts I like for different things is not bad.

The ART9 has a fuller presentation and perhaps better channel separation.

A cart being fuller as well as having better separation is a good thing IMO, especially when it is an MC cart. I will be more interested if ART9 and Delos have similar dynamics in your system. 
congrats @jsm71  !   I will be very interested to hear how the ART9 and Delos compare as I own the '9 and am considering the Lyra.  
-
i'm in a similar position with turntables and am considering the G, the RP8 and the VPI prime.  At the moment my main goal of the upgrade is to have a faster, more explosive / dynamic presentation. A reliable source tells me the RP 8 wins in this area.   anyone agree / disagree?  thanks   
I'll bite. Disagree.

Speed stability is one thing, the platter pad and its ability to control resonance in the LP as the groove is tracked is another.

That variable has to be eliminated (same platter pad on each machine being auditioned) before you can definitively say one is more 'explosive' than another.