Rega RP8 or Technics SL1200G

I'm a bit reluctant to post this "either or question" because I know that everything in this hobby is subjective, but here goes.

I currently have a Rega RP3-24 with an Exact 2 and I want to upgrade to my final turntable. I have read all the reviews that are available on both tables and both received stellar reviews, although Fremer stated that his RP8 sample table ran a little fast. I like the simplicity of the RP8 ($3000), however, I also like the adjustability of the SL1200G ($4000) which eases the task of trying different cartridges, although I don't plan on swapping out cartridges very often. On the other hand, I am not adverse to using spacers to adjust VTA on the Rega so I can try  non Rega cartridges. 

So it really comes down to which table sounds better, which is built better, etc. I would like to hear from anyone who owns or has heard either of these tables. I won't have the opportunity to audition either one.

I listen to rock, jazz and some classical.

The rest of my system is:
Cayin A-88T MKII Integrated with Gold Lion KT88's or Svetlana Winged C EL34  
PS Audio GCPH w/Underwood Mod (planning to upgrade to Parasound JC3+)
Harbeth SHL5 Plus 40th Anniversary
Rega Apollo-R
Accuphase T101
Cables: Morrow PH4 to phone preamp 

Thanks in advance.
Eric

ericsch
Eric, at $4000 you are in the JA Michell Gyro SE with Techno Arm price range, call Needle Doctor or Direct Sound. If you like the REGA P3/24 with Exact and you are looking to make this your LAST table, I seriously suggest you look at this table. I went to a JA Michell after I had a Rega P3/24 with all groove tracer upgrades and a Project Xtension 10. The Project ($3500) was a few levels up from Rega but too laid back and the REGA was great but not refined enough. Enter the Gyro SE, this is my last and reference table now ...Otherwise... Get the REGA RP8 it comes with the power supply (gotta love that). Going Direct Drive instead of belt is good if your a DJ!

Matt M P.S. Try a Dynavector 10X5 or even better 20x2 low or high :-)
Thanks Matt, I'll take a look at the JA Michell. At first, I was a bit hesitant to consider direct drive, but from my research, I got the impression that the DD technology has improved in recent years.

I'm not saying that DD tables are low grade at all. Its just that they are more for people you like to have full control over the speed , adjusting pitch up or down very accurately using the slider and strobe not to mention super fast starts and stops! So, if your a really hands on active spinner, DD’s are for you! But, If you want ease of use (RP8) or infinite upgrade possibilities (Gyro SE) both tables have excellent dynamics and detail and a awesome liveliness to the music that is not easily bested. .

Matt M