rega rb300 tonearm lift not working - fixable

the tonearm lift no longer lowers my rega arm. I've had the arm quite a while. is there something in there that may have dried out, anything I can do to bring it back to working condition?
128x128lloydc

Showing 3 responses by axelwahl

>>> is there something in there that may have dried out <<<

Yes there is, normally a very thick type of silicon fluid. Most arms start playing up after some time (years). Normally you open that piston chamber, clean it and replace the silicone.
Check: http://www.turntablebasics.com/silicone.html
Axel
Hi Msiebers,
you say:
>>> ***Since silicone is not a damping grease, I believe the lift will drop like a rock***. Even if it did work, the bottom of the rega lift is open, and the silicone **will drip out.** <<<

I think you ARE misinformed about silicon, maybe you want to read that link.

Incidentally SME uses that stuff in a lot of places and NOTHING is dripping anywhere.
Take note, silicone 'fluid' come in MANY viscosities and the one for the tonearm lift is lots thicker than honey in winter (and stays that way in summer).
A.
Hi Msiebers,
the stuff (the very thick silicon) does not leak as such --- it 'creeps' but only very little.
In fact all silicon does creep, that's why it is 'poison' in anything with open/unprotected contacts.

The bottom of the lift is open, because it would not work when air be trapped in the piston sleeve. It only needs 1/2 of a pin-head to be applied on the piston and it works again for some year(s). Initially often too good rather i.e. going down too slow.

But since Lloydc bought a new lift, problem is fixed --- until this one starts plying up after some time. Everything need to serviced after a while :-)

Greetings,
Axel
PS: I'm not so sure about that damping grease (link). I tried some (another item) and it did not work at all, the lift with arm just dropped.