Rega P3: Neo PSU or New Cartridge?

Hi everyone,

I have a Rega P3 upgraded with a Groovetracer Reference sub-platter and Rega’s white belt. I’m looking to upgrade the table further, but not sure which would be the most advisable option: Rega’s NEO PSU or a new cartridge (either the Exact 2 or Orotofon 2M Black). I’m content with the Elys 2 at the moment, but do plan to move up soon. The power supply is what I’ve been leaning towards getting next, but I’m new to planar-style belt-drive turntables, and so I’m unsure what sonic improvements to expect from such an upgrade.

I know many would recommend getting a P6 rather than upgrading the P3, but I’m not a fan of the color of the P6. I love the sleek look of the white P3 plinth with the metal bracing, metal sub-platter, and glass platter. This table is sort of of my fun foray into the world of planar-style belt-drive turntables. I’m primarily a direct-drive fan (I have two Technics SL-1210GAEs), but always loved the looks of the Regas, so the P3’s aesthetics, for me, are a factor to consider in addition to the sound quality. I know the P3 cannot achieve the same level of sound quality as other tables in the Rega line-up, but I’m just trying to get it to sound as good as it can.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
undefined

Showing 1 response by mwh777

undefined.....

A friend of mine is farther along the same path that you are on. He has the same table with the same upgrades. He has the NEO PSU and he also bought an aftermarket linear power supply (sorry I don't know the brand or source) for the NEO to replace the wall wart that comes with the Neo (this does require another IEC equipped power cord). He has a Clearaudio Performer V2 cartridge  Also, he has a Herbie's Audio Way Excellent II platter mat (I recommend it). Each of these were done one at a time and each step was a definite improvement. 

There are many people here that are better able to advise you on a cartridge for your table and arm combination than me but, I suggest that you not get too far ahead of the limitations of the arm with your cartridge choice. Should you put a $750 cart on a $600 arm? My tone arm cost about three times the cost of my cartridge.