Reel to reel , is it real the hype!

I am thinking of venturing into the realm of reel to reel.
I have access to purchase an otari mtr10, with enhanced 1/2 “ head block, refurbished and recapped for 9k.
my system is in brief is ayre kxr and mxr twenties playing through magico M3 with Jl audio Gotham subs. Front end digital is souped up wolf streamer pure digital capable of playing 512 and 1024 dsd files , t+a sd 3100hv dac( capable of playing 1024 dsd native . Front end analogue is sme 30/2 with Lyra Etna lamda sl catridge playing through vandenhul grail Se+ phono stage.( please see my system page for details )
my question is will the otari give me better performance than my digital and vinyl front end . Thank you in advance .
newtoncr

Showing 2 responses by tomic601

level match against the excellent system you already have, gain is always addictive!
have fun.
enjoy !
First OP congrats on your sweet system - both analog and digital, very well sorted out. I am sure w this level of thought and discernment, you are able to differentiate relative strengths and weaknesses to format. I am fortunate to dabble in all three. I have a heavily modified B77 with outboard tube head amps and EQ.

You have been given good advice. I prefer IEC and 1/4” 15 ips half track. This may limit you but provides a good jump in point. I would recommend a reference tape sampler from Opus 3 to get feet wet. Tape subscriptions can lower costs as does piracy, i don’t want to sidetrack the thread, just give that some thought.

I have heard that stock Otari, i didn’t get the liquid midrange i value so much, but again…it was stock but in a high caliber Ayre and Verity system, no slouch.

You will need to invest in calibration tapes, etc…some DIY expertise. seek out the R2R tapehead sites..no shortage of expertise, opinions…

Best to you on your journey….

Jim