Rectifier Tubes

Hi all, can anyone tell me why I hear so much of a change in my amplifier's sound (Coincident Frankensteins; 6em7 driver tube, 300b output tube) when I change the rectifier tube? 

I just got the following message from a tube vendor:

"Further, rectifier tubes (5U4) don't pass or amplify any sort of signal so our policy of no returns for tone especially applies to rectifiers. Changing a rectifier tube shouldn't change the tone of your amplifier at all, not even a little bit. This is why many high end amplifiers have solid state rectifiers. "

They actually did authorize a return (I was returning because the tubes were distorting, not because of tone), so I'm not gathering ammo for a fight.  I'd just like to understand why my experience is so different from this (presumably highly knowledgeable) individual's beliefs.

Thanks.
128x128cal3713

Showing 1 response by rodman99999

The gain stages of any component, will utilize devices(transistors, MOS-FETs, valves, etc) that modulate, as directed by their input’s signal, the voltage/current, from your power supply, to the next stage of amplification, or- the component’s outputs. Basically, you’re listening to your power supply. Upgrading a power supply’s rectifier(s)* and/or regulator(s) whether SS or valve, as well as capacitors, will(generally) be easily heard(ie: cleaner, smoother, more dynamic, etc), whenever done in a high resolution system. Some manufacturers that offer upgrades to their gear, focus on the power supply, as the primary target to address. *ie: with soft/fast recovery HexFREDs, HiPerFREDs, Mullard Blackburn factory, or big, funky, Phillips valves