Records and CDs

I’ve just spent a couple of weeks exclusively going through my extensive record collection playing hardly any digital media and have come to some conclusions.
Records are fun and enjoyable to work with, but ultimately for a music lover they’re a dead end. Since very few new titles are being released on records these days I find myself going through mainly old familiar performances. Then there’s the age old problem of comparing the SQ of both media which is maddening. I just today went back to streaming (and CDs.). I clearly see, for me this is the way to continue my listening habits. Records can be used as a diversion but not the main event.

128x128rvpiano

I have fond memories from back in the late '70s and early '80s of a bunch of us getting together at someone's apartment or trailer and spinning LPs all day and all night and using the the album covers that folded open like a book to clean the seeds out of a bag of canibus. . . .

I tragically gave up my LP collection at the end of 82 and then in the beginning of '89 when I was picking up another rack system I specifically opted to NOT get a TT.  Then in the mid '90s when I started getting into better-end audio, it sure seemed like vinyl was still dead and I committed myself and my system to digital . . . just another one of many life choices I now regret.

@dekay 

”If I didn't have vinyl (and a slow reading thermometer) I wouldn't have anything to do.”

Nice

@simao. That was not my intention at all. I lived the vinyl era in the 60’s and 70’s and love the memories of my vinyl experiences. I just prefer CD’s and streaming today 

In the beginning, we had AM radio or vinyl.  The we got FM and cassettes or 8-track.  We have come a long way in the world of Hi-Fi.  I still listen to vinyl when I am feeling nostalgic.  Dad had  a medium size collection of vinyl including Johnny Horton, Merle, even Ray Charles.  He ruined every record stacking 6 at a time on the cheap record changer. Ow!            @RVPiano

Wow, I completely forgot about the stacked record changer. Hmm, I was thinking about VTA… then remember I used to have to tape a penny or a nickel to the tone arm to hold it down… yeah… nice warm tubes, but terrible record players.