recommendations for TT + arm + cart, around $3.5k

Hi all - I'm looking to upgrade a Rega P1 to something more substantial. My setup (currently being upgraded):

Focal 1027Be Speaker
Rogue Audio M-180 Tube amp
Peachtree Audio Nova preamp/DAC
Rega P1 with NAD PP2 phono stage

Can anyone recommend some turntables that I should check out? I know comparing the P1 with something in the $3.5k price range is wildly unfair, but FWIW it's sound is too soft for me, so I'm looking for something on the brighter side. I listen to all kinds of music, with the bulk being rock/jazz/country/folk and a little classical of late).

I plan to upgrade the phono stage in the not-too-distant future, but I'd like to get the table sorted first. Budget of, say, $3500 all-in (table + arm + cartridge).

TIA!

Justin
jerico
I've got the 1027be's. Running Sim Audio amplification and phono stage using balanced interconnects. TT is Kuzma Stabi with Stogi S arm, cart is Clearaudio Maestro Wood (MM). Great synergy, plenty of dynamics, soundstage and some sweet mids. Not the last word in detail but not a bad thing with the beryllium tweeters on the 1027be's. Kuzma TT is excellent value for money with great engineering and a sexy look (is TT love indecent??).
I received my Classic today, installed a Sumiko Blackbird cart, and running it through a new PS Audio GCPH - have to say that it sounds night and day better than my previous setup with the P1 and PP-2. I mean, not a little bit better but totally different and wonderful - I've been spinning vinyl all night all having a blast! I'm sure my setup is far from optimal, and I'll figure that out eventually, but I'm very happy right now! Thanks all for the input. A new table and phono pre was the right way to go.

Justin
Recently upgraded my cartridge to a Dynavector XX2 MKII. What an amazing cartridge. Everything is better than the Benz Glider, as it should be considering price (not that the Benz was bad). Bass is quicker, tighter and deeper. Treble is airier and crisper. Midrange is natural. Music sounds more like the real thing (live music).