Recommendations for headphones under $400?

Pretty simple
Good recommendation for a pair of headphones under $400, these could be lightly used so new prices are not the limit.
Mostly listen to rock music so must have a fair bass response
Presently using an old pair of Grado that are really not that comfortable to wear at all, and do not have decent bass.

Thank you
128x128uberwaltz

Showing 4 responses by freediver

At the much reduced price of around $250.00 NOTHING can compete with the HiFiman HE-400i’s!!!While they don’t go as low in the bass as some choices the wonderful rich midrange and extended sweet treble make for hours long listening sessions with no fatigue...Decent imaging and staging and fairly easy to drive...Should sound fantastic with the Schiit amp!
If you aren't blown away I'll eat the box!Well maybe I would send you a nice little tube amp to try before eating said box!Congrats,
 Give them a good running in and let us know what you think..
My understanding was using Pre-Out completely removes amplification and speaker output from the unit.Don't use Mute,you still have variable output from Hagel to the headphone amp but that shouldn't be a problem,set a level and forget it...
Sounds like a great reason to put together a complete headphone system.You have the Schiit amp,get yourself a decent little DAC and away you go...Whatever you do don't use tubes on the HE400i's because once you do you will be hooked bad..Mine are driven by the all tube Quad VA-One and it is sublime...I'm considering moving wayyy up the ladder...