Recommendations for 1000

I need better audio for my home. I am using my computer to play music with a sound blaster X-fi card with Optical out and in and every other basic output. It is hooked up to a projector and is often used for dvds. I'm uncertain whether i should get 5.1 or stay two channel. I have a budget of 1k and need speakers and a receiver or amp. I am willing to buy receiver and 2 speakers now and add later if I must. I need some recommendation. I was leaning towards 2 floor stand klipsch and their 12 inch subwoofer. Thanks.
cwaigy

Showing 6 responses by pdn

A room 50'x 25' with cement walls is going to present you a real challenge to fill for $1K. I don't mean to sound discouraging but that's a large room, no question. Yes, a large subwoofer is going to be needed for sure. But they alone for this size room could run close to $1K or more. My room at 13' x 23' x 8' with furniture, carpet, and drapes on a cement first floor was challenging enough. I've spent over $4K to finally get the sound and bass I want with 5.1 Surround Sound (B&W, Marantz, NAD, & Rotel, Monster cable, etc). The 5.1 fills the room vs 2 channel stereo which doesn't (at least not for me). I love hearing the music in front of and behind me. If you could close off part of the room and make a smaller listening room, carpet it, etc., it will be easier and less expensive to get the sound and bass you want. Yes, you can purchase 2 loudspeakers and a receiver for under $1K but will it be to your satisfaction for that size room? Not sure. Read Robert Harley's book, the "Complete Guide to High-End Audio" or his other book on Home Theater. All the best.
Cwaigy:

Try www.partsexpress.com. You'll be able to purchase a wide variety of drivers, enclosures, and crossovers here. As far as this being a good idea or not, I would go in to this knowing it's a risk and that the speakers may not turn out to be the sound you need or want but it would be an excellent learning experience. Would this be your first time or attempt to build loudspeakers? I think it would be fun and again a great learning curve. Glad I could help out a fellow audio hobbyist. Let us know how they turn out if you do make a pair. All the best.
Yes I completely agree with Regalma1 about Ebay. Unless there are lots of the same item, chances of winning the bid are slim. I've been there and unless I'm desparate, I will no longer bid on Ebay. It's not worth the aggravation. I'd rather buy the item for what it's worth. I would be skeptical buying any audio components on Ebay. The folks on Audiogon on the other hand are far more credible and trustworthy. It's their hobby. This is just my opinion.
I've never auditioned Klipsch loudspeakers but much of what I've read and heard is that they are certainly in the "mid-fi" to "hi-end" category depending on the particular product line. I read over the specs and you have a number of things in your favor. The set is brand new with a 90 day return warranty. The feedback of this seller is highly positive with a 99.8% favorable record. You would probably not get much bass extension out of the 4 - 7" high satellites (freq response 100hz-20kHZ) and from the center channel (120hz-20kHZ) so you'll definetely need the sub-woofer. The 10" sw has a freq response of 29hz-120hz which is decent but power rating is only 55 watts. The satellites and center have a sensitivity of 90dB which is average. Again though, are these enough speakers and is the subwoofer powerful enough for your size room? Hard to say without trying them out. See if the seller would let you return them if you're not completely satisfied with the sound and that your room may be too large. I see the warranty they are promoting is focused on defects only. Well that's my input to you. Hope this is helpful to you.