Recommendation for Improvement over McCormack DNA-225

I currently have a McCormack DNA 225 mated with a VTL 2.5 and Line Magnetic 502 DAC powering my Salk Veracity HT3's. I think it sounds really nice but can definitely have some top end harshness, especially at the volumes I like to listen to.  I consider the Salk's are fairly power hungry in the low end (as confirmed with Jim Salk), can anyone recommend a SS amp with as much grunt as the McCormack in the range of 2K plus or minus.  Sure I would like a Pass or Ayre, but those are way above my price bracket.    I've tried Bel Canto Ref1000 mono's and Van Alstine.  The DNA had a better mid range presentation and better bottom end than both, no comparison.  Any other recommendations shy of the DNA 500, which again is over my price range.
128x128dwolek

Showing 2 responses by davidpritchard

dwolek:
I hope you will consider putting excellent audio grade fuses in your system. Especially the amp. Also audition audio grade wall A/C outlets.

There are several excellent fuse and outlets available. I personally like the sound using Synergistic Research Black fuses and their Black A/C wall outlets. They are sold with a 30 day return policy and so the cost of trying them in a system is very small - return postage.

I would try this approach before the more costly path of amplifier parts upgrading or auditioning and flipping amplifiers.

Good luck on your audio journey.

David Pritchard

dwolek:

I have PS Audio Premier outlets and I do think they are well made but can also sound bright compared to the Oyaide R1 and The Synergistic Research Black outlet. The Black outlet in my system has better sound   versus the Oyaide or PS Audio Outlet. I experienced the same effect installing the SR Black fuse- improved detail, soundstage with a more relaxed feel to the music. 

I have a strong feeling that combining these upgrades and Steve McCormack's upgrades to the amp will give you a very satisfying system.

David Pritchard