Ready, set, comment! Speaker cables don’t make a difference?

Audioholics will be doing another video on this at 4pm (I assume Eastern), today. Rather than comment on it after the fact, some here might want to jump into the live comments thread? Anyway, in case that’s you, here’s the link:https://youtu.be/kR12Ttuxobs

Old chestnuts never die, they just return in the Eternal Cycle of Re-roasting....
128x128hilde45
bigkidz-
@Millercarbon Just asking what cables transformed your system? I do hear difference but I have never found a cable to transform my system although I would pretty much be open to hear that!

I went from Synergistic Research Resolution Reference to Element Copper Tungsten Silver. These were so much better it had me shaking my head in disbelief. Bear in mind the cables that I had before were already quite good! 

Then I had Michael Spallone modify the Active Shielding modules to eliminate the cheesy circuit board with point to point wiring and higher quality caps and diodes. Another big step up. But going to CTS was huge. Granted these were $7500 speaker cables. But that was back in the day, 2000 or so, when they were new. By the time I got them they were only about $1200. Not a lot of money for such a huge improvement.

This was so huge I started to wonder what about my interconnect? Synergistic has a Passport trade in program and I had a lot of old cables sitting around over the years, never felt like worth the trouble to sell, thought who knows might find some use for them- and I did. Traded in they got me most of the way to Atmosphere Level III Euphoria which was another huge step up. 

The improvements from these cables was every bit as great as going from a ARC PH3SE phono stage to Herron, and almost as great as going from Talon Khorus to Moab. None of these are cheap. But then on the other hand compare the degree of improvement, it is every bit as great for the wires as for the components.

Wire is huge. So are components. You just have to find the right ones.
I was told by Audio Research about 3-4 yrs ago don`t spend money on exotic cables by a better piece of equipment then you`ll hear a difference in your system which make since.   We here at the ARC factory he stated use a set of modest $500.00 speaker cables, he wasn`t an sales person trying to sell me anything I was calling to solve an issue and cables just worked its way into the conversation I ended up with a set of $375.00. Blue jean speaker cables and I am absolutely satisfied.  I recently departed with my ARC LS22 preamp and purchased a better piece of equipment;  the Blue jean cables are still in  the system working the hell out of my 3.6 maggies  the new to me Pass Lab XP30 Peamp and the XP350 Pass power amp. and they arn`t missing a beat  HALLELUJAH !!!
Some don't give a rat's patooey. Where is spell check when you really need it?
The correct spelling is 'patootie'.
Finally after two pages we all learned something!
The story about ARC and their cables used at the factory is a good example of what I have been saying for years, that even industry members/entities are ignorant (or, have a vastly different set of priorities than the audiophile) of the importance of cables. Obviously it is to their advantage that the consumer buys their components versus cables. Frankly, most of the systems I have seen at manufacturers' factories are pathetic. As an audiophile, I would be embarrassed to show setups like that. Often the cables are sad, nowhere near optimized. Sadly, with a poor methodology such as the typical mixing of cables, without a clue what a baseline sound might me, the performance of the component will not be optimized - regardless how wonderful the owner thinks it is.   :(

IOW, shridanmartinj, you still have plenty of upside to your system's performance if you have never worked seriously with cables. As you mentioned Blue Jeans cables and have some nice kit in terms of the Pass components, I direct your attention to my latest review of the Iconoclast cables at Dagogo.com. Do not doubt for a moment that you can have far better sound than currently simply by switching out your cable set. It is a travesty for an audiophile with the means to settle on budget cables and squander the truly wondrous performance of the equipment. In this particular case, there is a consistency involved, as Iconoclast cables are sold through Blue Jeans and they are kindred designs. You have the ideal situation to prove to yourself that I am correct, and realize a truly stunning result. You are not there, you do not have a fully optimized system, if that is important to you.  

I see that you have Maggie 3.6, I believe. Trust me, these need all the help they can get with resolution. Simply because it is a panel speaker in no way means you have the best from them with less expensive cables and better components. I have owned, reviewed and use various panel speakers, and tell you that you have much more finesse to get out of those speakers than you are currently experiencing. I make changes to panel speakers regularly to improve their sound via cable sets. 

The misnomer continues to be circulated that components make a bigger difference in a system than cables. Of course that is true IF one considers only a particular cable, such as  set of ICs, but it is not true when considering the set of cables. Since most audiophiles do not work with sets, they have no clue about this. They speculate, gesticulate, agitate, etc. but they are uninformed. It's best not to listen to anyone who has not worked with comparison of sets of cables, be they manufacturer or fan. My guess is you will be wowed by ARC and think I am wrong. So be it; you pick your authority, you get your results.  

BTW, I advise the avoidance of cables with circuits in the signal path. I have yet to find one that did not mangle the signal as much as it was advertised to aid it.