"Upgrade" C-J MF2500A to Pass X250, SimAudio, Or?

I currently have a C-J MF2500A, Cary SLP98, Cary 303-200, Fanfare tuner, etc. driving B&W M802 S3's, in a 12x16" room. I'm actually fairly happy with the sound, but have the upgrade bug; you know how it is. The B&W's like plenty of power, so I'm thinking of high-current SS amps. For some reason I've always had an urge towards a Pass Labs X250--but would that be an "upgrade" to the 240w MF2500A? Also, I've heard that the Pass Labs amps really need balanced IC's to sound their best, which my Cary pre-amp doesn't have. I've also considered Sim Audio, Plinius, or one of the newer McIntosh amps. I'd buy anything I get used. And weight is a factor--even the X250 is twice the weight of my C-J amp, so I don't want to go much over 100 lbs., max. Thanks in advance for any advice!
steveaudio

Showing 2 responses by cellorover

I have listened to or spent considerable time with all the amps mentioned. The MF 2500A is a keeper and you will be unhappy once it leaves. You will not be able to replace its specificity and openness. This is truly the anchor to your current system. I would look at a different preamp or speaker first. Hang on to the Cary CDP. Alternatively, start with cables. What are you using and what have your tried?
Thanks for the question Danlib1--

My only intent was to state...keep the CJ while offering some upgrade bug remedies.

But you asked a good question. Is there a good answer? Who knows. My ears tell me that I like CJ, BC and BAT better than Cary. The very same ears told me that the Cary SLP98 is lovely, but not for me. I found a little something more that I liked in each of the other preamps in my system. But alas, I no longer use a preamp, so I have found a cure for the preamp upgrade bug.

If Steveaudio has the bug, IMO, there are choices to be found by keeping the CJ 2500A. Since I do not know what he is looking for, I cannot be any more specfic.

Me? I have gone minimal and listen to music. I found it hard to reach this point and very tempting to ask is there something else.

Steveaudio, take the cheap, fun, frustrating, exciting, overwelming cure to the bug. Keep it all and buy some new wires or send you children to college. One of these will kill off the bug fast! Cheers!