"New" Beatles Mono Catalog Release on 180gr Vinyl

It looks like the Mono CD Collection from 5 years ago did well enough that the collection is to be re-scrubbed & re-mastered and released on 180-gram vinyl.

Scheduled release date is 09/09/14. Not sure if the September release date has any significance, but apparently the box set is part of Apple Corps 50th Anniversary marketing campaign.

Here's the link to the Rolling Stone Article:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/the-beatles-in-mono-to-get-lavish-vinyl-release-this-fall-20140616

For vinyl junkies, this looks like a no-brainer.

Personally, I'm on the fence as to whether to pull the trigger, especially given the $375.00 US Suggested Retail for 14 LPs (roughly $26.75 per album).

I have the Mono CD Box and the Limited Edition USB-Rom 24-Bit FLAC Collection (Shipped in its own aluminum Green Apple). I passed on the US-Release CD Box, and the UK Stereo CD & Vinyl Boxes. Still, it IS The Beatles, and adjusted for inflation the pricing is about the same as when I bought the record albums the first time...
courant

Showing 3 responses by daveyf

I just received my Mono box set. I think it is truly superb on all counts. The quality of the box and the records is first rate. The vinyl is all pristine and flat. The LP's are quiet and clean.
Listening to the 'Help' LP on my system, I was reminded why sometimes the older the recording, the better. Although the presentation, due to it being mono, is primarily between the speakers and with no real left/right stage delineation, I have NEVER heard the Beatles sound better.
I think this set is destined to be a classic, so much so that I am tempted to buy another set.A+++ all round.
I listened to Revolver again last night. It really is a superb LP. However, I think it is important to note that since it is mono, it has all of the "deficiencies" of mono. If you reference a great stereo LP against a great mono LP ( like this Beatles reissue), the constriction of the soundstage and the placement of the musicians on the stage is obviously lacking in the mono issue.
On my system, the musicians and all of the 'action' takes place only between the speakers. No left or right stage delineation. ( I am only using a stereo cart, so that may be a factor, although I doubt it).
I hate to say this, BUT IMHO there is a VALID reason why stereo caught on and is generally preferred to this day. Doesn't take anything away from this magnificent set, but just needs to be contemplated.
Great Stereo recording vs. Great Mono recording... I know which I would prefer to listen to--and it isn't the Mono.However, I'm not saying the Mono is bad... All IMHO.