"Native" 192 vs Upsampled 192 quality?

Hi,

I have a Musical Fidelity M1DAC. It's hooked up to my CD player via coaxial and to my Musical Fidelity V-Link (which converts USB to SPDIF) via TOSLINK. The V-Link grabs the output from my MacBook Pro's USB out.

I purchased a few albums from HD Tracks.com today. One of them, Norah Jones "Come Away With Me" is in 192/24 format. I also have the album on Redbook CD.

Now, then: the HD downloads sound marvelous. But it occurred to me that the M1DAC upsamples everything to 192, anyway. So, in theory, should there be a sonic difference between the sound of a native 192 kHz file playing out of the DAC, and, say the 44.1 kHz CD file upsampled in the DAC to 192 kHz?

I haven't had the chance yet to A/B the two formats, but I'm curious about the theory.
rebbi

Showing 1 response by kijanki

How can you compare when your CD data is not 24 bit? Also, the fact that DAC outputs it at 192kHz is not necessarily a good thing, since D/A converter chips have higher THD at higher sample rates. For that reason Benchmark DAC1 outputs only 110kHz on 192kHz D/A chip.

44.1kHz meets Nyquist requirement but only for continuous waves. For short bursts especially at high frequency it cannot be perfectly corrected by SINC functions.

Hearing the difference between 24/192 and 16/44.1 would depend on processing done by your DAC, resolution and transparency of your system, acoustic properties of your room and your hearing. I wouldn't be able to tell the difference, I'm sure, but suspect that many professional musicians could. Then again, there are articles proving that 24/192 playback could actually sound worse than 16/44.1

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html